Guimaras is one of the 16 island provinces of the Philippines and the lone one for Western Visayas. It is geographically located between the islands of Panay and Negros. Total land area of the province is 60,457 hectares which comprises the 5 municipalities: Buenavista, Jordan, Nueva Valencia, Sibunag, and San Lorenzo. With its area, you can actually visit Guimaras for a day from Iloilo.
The province is considered as top producer of the sweetest mangoes in the Philippines. Aside from the tropical fruit, Guimaras is also blessed with picturesque beaches, falls, springs and offshore islets, which attract both local and foreign tourists. Each of the municipalities has their own share of attractions that will surely make your visit to Guimaras worthy and memorable.
Attractions in Buenavista include its wharf built by Lt. Douglas Mac Arthur in 1903. Others are Siete Pecados, Roca Encantada, the 45-hectare campus of the Good Shepherd’s Fold Academy and Daliran Cave, and the home of exotic plants and flowers, Neptune Pittman’s Garden Resort and Spa.
Jordan on the other hand offers white sand beaches, marine gardens, and coves in Natago Beach, Isla Naburot and Baras Beach. Balaan Bukid Shrine serves as a pilgrimage site during Lenten season and also the venue of the crowd drawer Lenten presentation “Ang Pagtaltal sa Balaan Bukid,” and lastly is the calm surroundings of Trappist Monastery in the Philippines.
WHAT TO DO
1. Feed the fishes in SEAFDEC Igang Marine Station.
2. Discover why Ave Maria Island was named as such.
3. Take a photo with a sea turtle in Turtle Island.
4. Climb the Guisi Lighthouse.
5. Visit and offer a simple prayer at the Abbey Church of Trappist Monastery.
6. Drop by the Smallest Plaza.
7. Taste the famous Mango Pizza of Guimaras
8. Stroll around the capitol grounds.
9. Buy pasalubong.
WHERE TO STAY
- Baras Beach Resort, Lawi, Jordan, 0917-3030282/0927-4801027
- Cabaling Beach Resort, Espinosa, Jordan, 0928-4879644/0927-9824215
- Costa Aguada Island Resort, Inampulugan Island, Sibunag, 0918-9241237/0917-3009942
- Guisi Clear Water Beach Resort, Dolores, Nueva Valencia, 0919-5636688/0932-4905818
- Hillside Fisherman’s Resort, Magamay, Nueva Valencia, 0916-6655470
- Isla Bonita Resort, Yato Island, Nueva Valencia, 0928-3395130/0907-8943112
- Isla Naburot Island Resort, Sinapsapan, Jordan, (033) 3211654
- Jesa Mar Beach, Nauway Island, Sibunag, 0912-8317351
- Kenyama Beach Resort, Dolores, Nueva Valencia, 0939-4276433/0929-1351328
- Nagarao Island Resort, San Isidro, Sibunag, 0918-9080730
- Nature’s Eye Resort, Tando, Nueva Valencia 0908-8948474/0929-5259820
- Pine Haven Hotel, San Miguel, Jordan, 0915-2215763
- Punta Punting Beach Resort, Sabang, Sibunag, 0919-4325694
- Raymen Beach Resort, Poblacion, Nueva Valencia, 0918-5207271/0919-5150757
- Rico Beach Resort, Poblacion, Nueva Valencia, 0918-4210943
- Shirven Hotel, San Miguel, Jordan, 0921-7205242/0916-2309527
- Side Walkers Pension House, San Miguel, Jordan, 0915-2448538
- Small Wings Pension Inn, San Miguel, Jordan, 0927-6107515
- Sto. Niño Beach Resort, San Roque, Nueva Valencia, 0915-2330270/0939-7615480
- Valle Verde Mt. Resort, Ravina, Sibunag, 0918-5940958/0918-7303446
WHERE TO EAT
Chavez Building, San Miguel, Jordan
TOURS AND GETTING AROUND
You can contact Kuya Cherald 0908-4748122 for the land tours, rate per whole tricycle starts at PHP 1,200 good for 4 people. It will include the transpo from Jordan Wharf to Alubihod Beach for your island hopping activity. He will tour you around and will also serve as your photographer and guide. For the island hopping activity, rate for the first hour is Php 500 and Php 150 for every succeeding hour.